Thursday, April 8, 2010

change of plans

Janneke didn't have a great day today. She had considerable discomfort and seems to be having some bowel issues. This may or may not be related to the seizures she had earlier this week.

Today she "fasted" to prepare for her growth hormone testing that was supposed to take place. The doctors were closely monitoring her during this time as well to see if she became hypoglycemic, and if it would onset another seizure. It didn't. But this bowel issue and the discomfort it was causing her became the main issue of the day.

It was also decided today, because Janneke has very poor vein access, which proved more than a little problematic when she was having her seizures on Sunday, that it would be a good idea for her to have a port-a-cath, much like the one Rachel had inserted a few weeks back. If her bowel issues clear up, she will have minor surgery tomorrow afternoon/evening to insert the port-a-cath. This will also make the growth hormone testing and all subsequent blood work much easier. But it is a surgery. We are not excited about this prospect but we are confident that it is the right thing to do in the long run.

Yesterday I stated that Janneke would probably come home on Friday. Today it seems the best case scenario would be for her to come home on Sunday.

rpot

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi POT family,

Praying that God will continue to take care of you as parents and each of your girls. Our Lani has had her port-a-cath for five years now and are so glad she has it! Thanks so much for sharing your experiences with us blog readers and keeping us updated! I think of you often being myself a Mom of children with special needs. Heidi in Waterloo