Saturday, March 24, 2012

and the walls came tumblin' down


No, I haven't an axe to grind in this post... 

It's just another sign that things are changing here, and there is much work to be done.  

The other night, Ralph left for his meeting at school, and several minutes later, a red pickup pulled into the driveway with youth spilling out the back and sides. They were armed with crowbars, and they meant business.  

No fear here: It was the combined youth group and their leaders from two local churches here in town - including several others (Deb, Brian, and Drew) .  In less than two hours, they had our carport skinned and ready for its final demise.  

Interesting how many of them were former students of Ralph's.  Were they eager to get back at him?

I took a few pictures, but the crew was busy, and I felt that I needed to stay a safe distance - hence some of the blurry shots.  (See the beam of wood being tossed into the dumpster?)


They had permission take their feet, hands, crowbars, and whatever else to tear down the walls...


and break down whatever they could to make room in the dumpster.


I sensed this was fun - and not just work or a service assignment.



At one point, I witnessed them hanging from the rafters and hoisting their feet through the warped plywood (formerly known as carport walls).  Very dramatic.



Now the dust has settled, the dumpster is gone, and the girls had a chance to survey the changes.




The dumpster will return on Monday, the excavator will show up, and soon there will be two holes in the ground - to prep for the garage and the new bedroom.  Very exciting.

Really, it was a great way to start our week.  Unfortunately, by mid-week, Rachel's blood sugar levels went quite low, and it was difficult to keep them within the normal range.  Rachel also showed signs of discomfort (pain?) and unusual fidgeting and verbal sounds.

We thought Rachel had stabilized by Friday enough to safely return to school, but her blood sugar levels dipped at school too.  Now I feel as though we are heading back to the beginning with what we experienced with Janneke.  We haven't seen the same seizure activity in Rachel, but she presents her symptoms differently from Janneke, so we can't compare the girls in everything.

Thankfully, Janneke has been stable and content these last few days.  She keeps us laughing with her quirky faces and unique spitting sounds.




As for Rachel, I hope to be in touch with the folks at Mac to find out how we can deal with her symptoms.  It has brought me down emotionally, and I am tired of the fear that comes with all the instability and uncertainty.  I realize that my fears are deep-rooted - and not easily chased away.

I love my girls, and as their mom, I think that I should be able to know what's wrong and how to help them.  But, time and time again, I have learned that there is no expert for my girls, and I will only exhaust myself trying to be everything to them.  I need to give them to God - and give my fear to God.

That will take a lifetime, I think.



As I mentioned before, the week started on a great note with the youth and their crowbars.  What a blessing to be reminded of our community support - of all ages.  Both Ralph and I miss those days of working with SERVE teams (SERVE Minneapolis!) and with youth groups.  It is a honour to support and be a recipient of the youth groups now as a family.

Peace for your week. Prayers are cherished for Rachel and Janneke as we do our best to care for them - and for our older two girls as they experience life being the sibling of two kids with special needs.  That  is not easy.

Stertke.
spot

P.S. My sister and her family are also in the middle of some home renovations; check out nephew Caleb's blog.  I particularly appreciate my sister's words at the end of her latest post.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you all, miss not working with the girls. You are a mighty family.

Anonymous said...

Very cool photos! And very neat that this group was able to come and help with the demolition. I'm so glad you will post photos so we can keep updated w/ the progress of the renos. Very exciting!
Sara, we pray for your family every day. Our kids are always curious to know what's up with the Pots. :) So thank you for your honesty and dedication in sharing your thoughts and day to day life via the blog. It means so much to us being so far away! We'll especially pray for Rachel - that her sugar levels will stabilize. Take care! breuks