Sunday, September 29, 2013

autumn walk


Go, sit upon the lofty hill,
And turn your eyes around,
Where waving woods and waters wild
Do hymn an autumn sound.
-E. B. Browning

* * *

Poetry or no poetry, there was definitely a song in the warm wind this week, keeping it cool at night but warm in the afternoons.  Perfect for a hike.  And a chance to monitor the Welland Canal freighters.


No, I don't make the kids pose for photos, but I did catch some great Emily-and-Janneke moments on our walk.  Janneke continues to develop strong weight bearing muscle in her legs, allowing her to walk with assistance.  She uses the wheelchair for mobility and transportation, but we also give her time to play with those new skills.

I am not sure if I am excited about the idea of Janneke walking independently.  It's one thing to look forward to those first steps with kids like Emily and Sophia whose cognitive ability we can measure.  We can teach them what is safe and what is stable.  With kids like Janneke... well, we aren't so sure what is understood.

I am thankful the kids continue to develop and change. I only hope it goes at a pace that my head and heart can handle.  One step at a time, eh?


peace to your homes,
spot

1 comment:

BLOOM - Parenting Kids With Disabilities said...

OH MY GOODNESS! I had no idea Janneke was walking.

LOVE THESE PHOTOS! Can't wait to hear how her walking progresses.