Friday, August 8, 2014

perspective


For what you see and hear depends a good deal on where you are standing; it also depends on what sort of person you are.  
from The Magician's Nephew, C.S. Lewis


I like that quote.

I had to visit an Ontario office for some paperwork today, and while I filled out forms, the officer asked me for advice.  He told me about his neighbours who have a large pine tree in their backyard - which is shared visually with his backyard.  The rest of the place is immaculate, save for this gnarled and half-trimmed wonky pine tree.  How would I suggest he approach the neighbours to remove the eyesore?

I didn't have much to say (partly because pine trees are my favourite), but I did suggest he buy a new bush, plant it and stare at it until he doesn't see the pine tree anymore.

I know, it's not that easy to change perspective, but this guy couldn't see his own backyard for the neighbour's tree.  I get it.  Sometimes it's a tree, sometimes it's a disability, sometimes it's a day when nothing went how you wanted.... but there is still good happening.

* * *


On the home front, this week has been filled with puppy, puppy, puppy.  Yikes - it's like another baby in the house.  Don't worry, Luna is still a part of the family, and she is a great dog.  Here's to getting her to sit, stay, fetch, do the tube feeds, and poop on command in the coming week.

Good night. The girls are tucked in, and we look forward to some sweet cousin time this weekend.  We hope to also visit the pork roast fundraiser for our friends, the VanDriels. You coming?

peace,
Sara Pot

No comments: