Friday, November 28, 2014

not giving up

Luna the muppet has developed a fondness for a frisbee as of late.  What is most humourous is watching her try to pick up the frisbee off the floor - almost impossible for her paws to grasp the plastic and flip the frisbee.  She will spend an incredible amount of time trying to flip the frisbee.



At least, I found it humourous at first.

After these last seven days, I can empathize with the frustration of wanting to flip over to the other side of the toy.  I'd like to flip over to a smoother side of living.

It's been a Rachel's-sick-Ralph-has-shingles-Sara-pulls-a-hip-muscle-Rachel-has-a-UTI-Sara-has-an-allergic-reaction-to-the-flu-vaxxine kind of week.

Rachel's mending and is back at school, and I am feeling much better this afternoon.  (Ironically, the meds I was given to deal with the allergic reaction cleared up the remainder of the pulled muscle pain.) I am thankful for antibiotics and our essential oils that help, but admittedly, the meds and oils don't take away the worry we have over Ralph's bout with shingles.  They are on his face, which is troublesome to the eye - never mind the pain and numbness on the head.

This is not a pity post, but sometimes, writing it out gives us a chance to unpack our feelings.  And we can't pretend we don't need warm fuzzies and encouragement from our community of support. Hey, we're all supposed to make this world awesome for each other (Kid President).


an awesome get-well card from niece Aleah - with good advice

I shared some of my discouragement with my dad earlier this week, and he reminded me to farm for climate - not the current weather.  I'm biased, but I think my dad's a great preacher; he's also been incredibly encouraging with my own faith life.  He has this sermon with the illustration of farming that reminds us to remember the big picture, the big story.  The current weather we are experiencing isn't the way it always goes; if farmers based their success on one harvest, many of them would throw in the trowel and give up.  But a good farmer believes that if this year's harvest is crap, next year's harvest will be better.  Okay, so my dad probably didn't say crap.  But you get the idea.

Kind of like the Churchill "never, never, never give up."

Kind of like Lamentations 3:19-23 - these sorrows, these frustrations won't consume us.  HOPE remains in a faithful God who says we aren't alone.

So, we aren't giving up.  We are making jokes when we can, and we earnestly hope that Ralph feels amazing soon.  Shingles are physically painful, but the time of waiting it all out is also painful on the soul.

Flip, frisbee.

peace for your weekend,
spot

This weekend, we remember Dad Pot who passed away in the early morning hours of November 29, 2013.  We love you, Opa.  An 85 year old testimony of never, never, never giving up.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My goodness your family has been having more than its share! I hope all of you are well and full of hope and energy soon. Shingles is not fun, and I remember waiting and waiting for the all clear so I could get back to usual activity. Your faith is strong, Sara. Sending hugs and caring your way, and wishes for good health,
samm in welland